Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Winston Highland Games

I have been waiting for this day for months. My friend Janelle is the MC for the games every year. She is very into her Scottish heritage. She has been to Scotland and bought her official clan tartan. This is serious stuff to her which makes it very exciting when she describes it. I thought it would be a great addition to Jaden's schooling.
Today we drove up to Winston so the kids could participate in the kids competition. After a little bit of cajoling they were glad we made them enter. The events included the stone throw, sheaf toss, caber toss, weight for distance, and the farmer's walk. It was so fun to see the kids trying new things. Ella was not old enough to compete so she spent the day climbing trees, getting her hair french braided, and cheering for Jaden and Kyla. I didn't get a picture of it because I was so busy screaming, but one of my favorite moments of the afternoon was Kyla doing the stone throw. The other kids her age had scratched because the stone was to heavy. Kyla struggled for a few moments to pick up a 35 pound stone, I thought she was going to give up. At the last second she gets it about six inches in the air and hucks it across the line. It went about 5 in. I was so proud of her for not quitting! The caber toss was another neat event to watch. The kids pick up these giant logs and have to toss them so they flip end over end and hit the ground upright before they fall. It was a blast watching them practice. I think it made them feel powerful.
After attending the games I can understand why Janelle loves them so much. Thanks for sharing this great experience with us. The kids wanted to rush home and find out if we had any Scottish ancestors. The closest we could find is Irish. We'll have to keep looking.
I'll have to get some big logs for the backyard so we can practice for next year.






Janelle of Clan MacDougall, Ella, and Kyla





Level 4 of the sheaf toss

60 lbs. Farmers carry



















Kyla's first attempt. She got better, I promise.

1 comment:

karen said...

Kyla's first attempt made me laugh. it looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

King Family Feb 2007

King Family Feb 2007
Kyla, Jaden, and Ella